STAGES Youth Theater has worked to create a happier, more transparent, and more equitable environment for our team members over the past several seasons. We are proud of our open and deeply collaborative workplace culture and are commited to increasing diversity and inclusion in all of our activities – including the hiring of new teaching artists and staff members. We hope to hear from any interested candidates for open positions, and welcome your feedback at any time!
2023-2024 AFTER SCHOOL TEACHING ARTISTS
About STAGES Youth Theater Teaching Artists
At STAGES, we use the term “Teaching Artist” to describe someone who is an artist in their own right, and is passionate about using their artistic experience to educate and inspire the young people in our programs.
Responsibilities for Teaching Artists at STAGES may include: play rehearsal & production, developing, documenting, and delivering curriculum for non-performance theater classes, representing STAGES at community events, teaching or performing in Maine schools as part of the STAGES in The Schools program, developing new Theater for Young Audiences plays, working as a designer or technician on a production team, and more!
STAGES Teaching Artists share the same qualities and undergo the same training process, though each TA brings a unique perspective and skill set. We make every effort to match our staff members with programs best suited to their interests and preferred student age ranges.
Qualifications for all Teaching Artists:
(Some positions require specific skills -these are listed above in the available positions)
- Post-high school age 18+
- Demonstrated successful experience in and excitement about working with young people ages preschool through high school (you do not need to teach all age groups in order to work at STAGES)
- Prior experience in acting, performing, playwriting, directing, production design and/or other theatre discipline
- Reliable transportation (or access to reliable public/other transit options for travel throughout the Portland area)
- General availability between the hours of 3PM and 8PM on weekdays (though you do not need to be available every day in order to apply)! Daytime availability required for participation in STAGES in the Schools programs
- Excitement about helping young people unlock their creativity
- Willingness to prioritize agreed-upon/contracted STAGES work
- Professional approach to working with kids
- Strong sense of play
- Excellent communication skills
- Energetic & collaborative team player
- Flexible/willing to go with the flow
- Problem solver
TO APPLY FOR A TEACHING ARTIST POSITION:
Interested candidates should:
- Fill out this google form application (let us know if you are unable to access or use this form)
- Send a resume or list of your recent relevant work to firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no other specific positions for which we are currently hiring – but please check back again soon! If you have any questions about working at STAGES, please contact us!